On the one hand we have Dan Rather's forged documents with response: "...we have been misled."
* Hit to Rather's reputation
* Hit to CBS's reputation
* Hit to the media's (already questionable) reputation
* Unmitigated, eye-popping outrage
* Calls for Rather's resignation
* Calls for an investigation by the House of Representatives
... And then there's the White House's forged documents with response: "We fell for it."
* American public misled and frightened into an invasion of a sovereign nation that posed no threat to the U.S.
* Hit to America's reputation
* Over 1,000 Americans dead
* Over 7,000 Americans injured
* Tens of thousands of Iraqis dead
* Iraq turned center for terrorist recruitment
* Hundreds of billions of U.S. taxpayers' dollars gone
* Anti American sentiment at record highs
* Iraq on the verge of civil war
* (Crickets chirping)
... How's that working for ya?